Reporting into the Customer Success Organization assigned to a specific account, the Embedded Engineer provides an advanced level of technical support in an operational post-sales capacity and assists the Director in managing the health of the technical relationship with the key account. The Embedded Engineer works either on site or remotely and provides fault isolation and problem resolution for complex problems that come directly from customers or are referred by other levels of technical support.
The Embedded Engineer works complex issues and escalations closely with TAC, SET and the Engineering teams. The role may require the interaction with 3rd party technical vendors to configure end-to-end solutions impacting the customer’s entire system.
The Embedded Engineer monitors and supports critical network elements to maintain the continuous operation of network and system infrastructure. They follow procedures to identify and validate trouble conditions, taking appropriate action to minimize service interruption. The Embedded Engineer performs proactive network status checks as part of normal surveillance activities, ensuring optimum performance.
• Troubleshoots and resolves sophisticated and escalated technical product support issues for technical product support personnel; interacts with product development and quality assurance teams; gives feedback, discusses design issues, investigates problems, and develops solutions to meet the technological needs of users; develops technical documents, instructions and training for support personnel.
• Assists clients on escalated support tickets for highly complex technical issues when first-line product support teams have not succeeded in isolating and resolving issue; accepts escalations from level 1 & 2 technicians to resolve high priority/complex customer issues; reviews and validates bugs opened by TAC engineers and work with Engineering toward resolution. Provides onsite services to customers on hub installation, upgrading and network troubleshooting as well as Network Audits. Provides fault isolation and problem resolution to iDirect customers in analyzing, troubleshooting, and resolving product-related issues, including, but not limited to the following areas: IP networking, RF, Satcom, Linux, and MySQL databases.
• Analyzes frequency spectrum plots; utilizes Spectrum Analyzer to review interference, Carriers, etc.; analyzes Link Budget elements; understands details of Carrier performances, carrier level, C/N, Eb/No, BER, etc.; recognizes all RF impairments, Noise and interference; troubleshoots RF chain from RF to BB.
• Designs and creates network configurations; creates advanced troubleshooting techniques based on past experience; develops macros and scripts that assist customer network operators in daily routines; integrates monitoring applications into hub environment involving iDirect equipment; utilizes planning tool and Link Budget; uses Engineering debug tools and commands without Engineering support; configures and utilizes tools such as SNMP manager, throughput testers, voice quality measurement with iDirect equipment; installs or upgrades iDirect hub.
• Designs new network using own knowledge of TCP/IP concepts; utilizes troubleshooting tools such as tcpdump and ethereal/sniffer captures effectively; creates router/switch configurations involving VLANs, routing protocols, multiple interfaces, etc.; troubleshoots issues using cRTP, VLAN, IPSEC and IPQOS concepts; understands VOIP and Video Conferencing.
• Provides third party product support on designing, installations, integration and troubleshooting; reproduces customer issues and test new software packages in a LAB environment.
• With knowledge of Linux, navigates file structure; edit files and reading logs; writes reviews and understands advanced scripts; develops macros and scripts that assist customer network operators in daily routines.
• Updates query and join tables using knowledge of MySQL or similar databases; creates reports including integration and interaction with third party billing/reporting software and troubleshoot any related issues.
• Works on complex issues according to priorities and designated resolution timeframes.
• Acts as technical lead for new software releases and testing/training effort.
• Tracks assigned open tickets and insures all tickets are updated as required.
• Documents all support transactions using TAC ticketing system
• Performs other duties as assigned.
7 years of experience working with RF/Satellite Communication and/or TCP/IP Networking, design and/or troubleshooting.
• Ability to work in a support environment where the main focus is working with clients either on the telephone or via email
• Ability to debug complex TCP/IP network issues using tools such as TCPDUMP or Wireshark packets sniffers and analyzers.
• In-depth knowledge of iDirect's products and/or services.
• Working knowledge of Linux/UNIX, and MYSQL.
• Knowledgeable of trouble ticket systems, trouble ticket policies and procedures including escalations and measurements such as MTTR.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Travel Requirements: Minimum of 75% travel in-country and/or international is required
Location: Middle East
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited four year college or university in Engineering, technology, computer science, or related field and work experience.